Tuesday 25 March 2008

Candy shop

Ever since I saw the editorial "Light and fantastic" in the Feb issue of Vogue, I've been obsessed with pastels. Especially bubblegum pink and spearmint. Maybe it's the thought of sweets, but it seems I want everything that's got those colours these days. Now, when the SS08 collections were presented last autumn, I felt a bit sceptical about the whole thing. Pastels? Ruffles? With my blonde hair that would just be too Barbie. But now I've rather warmed towards the idea. After all, it doesn't have to be all Clueless and Versace. Deconstruct the pieces, add some graphic elements and chunky boots, "mess it up" the way Jonathan Saunders and Marc Jacobs (also for Louis Vuitton) have done:

I also like the way Jil Sander used the colours in sheer, transparent fabrics layered over each other:
 Melim Anderson did a bit of the same for ChloĆ© (before he got fired!), and paired the more romantic floaty dresses with geometric heeled shoes. The inspiration from The Memphis Group, which transformed product design in the 1980's, was evident in all of these collections. Described as "A way of life, of transferring into the world of the western home the culture of rock music, travel and a certain excess", this design was again inspired by art deco, kitsch and pop art. So if you get some comment about looking too Barbie, just mumble something about "postmodernism...referencing popular culture in an ironic way....art deco..." and walk away. That's what I'm gonna do.

Anyways, I went to get candy, I mean clothes, today and found 4 things for 16 quid! Not bad! Two of them were in above-mentioned pastels:

Then I finally got a jumpsuit, which, let's face it, is so short it could be mistaken for a swimsuit,
but WTF, I'll find a way to make it work. I've been looking for one for ages, and most of them seem to be too big, so when this fitted me perfectly (well, apart from being dangerously short) I didn't care that it has a Hawaiian floral print on it. Pink is good!

Finally, I picked out a simple white shirt with a nice detail on the back. I'll wear it with mentioned tuxedo, or tucked into a high waisted shirt. Just hope it fits, as it said "petite" on it...




And that's all in a days work! Ahh, I feel exhausted...

(Again, sorry for pictures not being top quality, I'm getting used to this blogging business...)

No comments: