Monday 1 June 2009

The curious case of buttons


There's something incredibly fascinating about buttons. Something so small can actually make or break a clothing item. Buttons is everything, really. They can expensive a look, or toughen it. I wonder how much time designers take to consider which buttons to put on. In the documentary about Marc Jacobs/Louis Vuitton, he and his design team spent hours trying to figure out where to place the buttons on the bags. I remember going through my mum's sewing kit when I was younger, collecting the nicest buttons. Later I put them on my t-shirts and bags, and the clothes felt entirely new. I still enjoy going through the button collection. 

Talking of all things buttons, I found this article on Vice about the world's button collector number one. Read it and don't listen to the band Fuck Buttons!


No comments: